- The CNPA; California Newspaper Publishers Association, wrapped up another fine conference. San Jose was the place, right there in Silicon Valley. It was a perfect location due to the influence of digital through-out the 3 day event.
Here’s the presentation deck I used: Run Your Website as a Profit-First Business. Sometimes I call this: Profit-First is Better than Digital-First. There’s alot of new stuff in here, as I always keep updating it.
Some items that I place even more focus on:
- Newspaper has a special ‘bond’ with local advertisers? NOPE. All that business owners care about…. is sales.
- Boasting about web revenue growth..using percentages…is total BS. A financial analyst will laugh you out of the room.
- Many Publishers are lazy. They still delegate digital revenue to a SALARIED exec. That’s just idiotic.
- VP’s of Digital hire commission-only, outside consultants to HARD CLOSE local clients. Really dumb.
- News organizations & groups run by those with little or no digital sales background.
- Many big name CEO’s, consultants and pundits still hiding financial health of digital efforts.
- The CMS ( content management system ) is critical part of web sales. If it’s tough & expensive to use, dump it. Use WordPress instead.