The America East Newspaper Conference in Hershey, Pa., starts on Monday, March 12. With online revenue, web strategy and digital-first discussion being a hot topic, I’m looking forward to doing a must-attend session there.
‘For Publishers Only’ is a session that will likely upset some, but will be incredibly valuable to anyone with a financial stake in their publication’s online success. Publishers, owners, CFO’s and private equity investors will watch as we call out the 800 lb. elephant in the room: Why don’t we run digital like print; where profit and simple business tactics always come first?
America East attendees of this session will learn:
- How & why private equity firms are depressing your newspaper’s valuation
- How to place valuation on your digital assets
- How to reduce costs of overall operations via digital
- Determine if person in charge of digital, is qualified to reach online profitability
- Staffing best practices; why separate digital sales teams are recipe for disaster
- How CPM & 3rd party sales efforts are harmful to your business
- Best practices of online inventory & digital yield management
Here’s a short video clip from the 2009 America East conference. I interviewed video journalist pioneer; Michael Rosenblum, about the future of newspaper and online news. Has newspaper progressed much since this video was shot 3 years ago?