Can great online editorial survive without a strong sales effort? How patient can Greenspun Media be, as they pump financial support into the LasVegasSun.com? This is quite possibly the only session we can think of, where Rob Curley was asked about the financial sustainability of his efforts.
Mr. Curley; head of interactive for Greenspun Digital, is arguably one of the best content developers on the planet.
So what happens when a sales effort struggles to turn that superior editorial into cash?
Some questions we asked Rob, in front of a room full of newspaper executives:
- How long can ownership take that loss?
- Can a Rob Curley strategy survive in a newspaper company with limited funds?
- Why does Rob go on so many sales calls? Is the sales team not strong enough?
- Is new business development and local sales skill a strong suit of the Las Vegas Sun?
- Is there a common thread to be found from his recent time at the Washington Post and Naple News?
Here’s the slide deck from the session called ‘Digital Cage Match’; Mel Taylor vs. Rob Curley from the Las Vegas Sun.